Friday, September 13, 2013

Elixir of Life...Espresso Double Shot Recipe

This is the pretty version, just for a pic.
I totally dumped this in an enormous,
ugly cup to drink it (see below picture)
Also, this one is not mixed up enough,
but it looks pretty all swirly like that.
#TruthInAdvertising I didn't drink it
like that.
At the beginning of the summer Eric and I were at the grocery store with the kids when he banished me to the nearby Starbucks for yawning too much. It was about 3:00 in the afternoon so they were not overburdened with an abundance of business so I took my time staring blankly at the menus. I knew I didn't want something hot; first of all, it was a cool 102 degrees outside, and secondly, if I'm super sleepy, hot drinks make it worse. I also knew though, that I didn't want one of their über calorie laden frappuccinos like my rail-thin husband likes to get. Having worked in the food service industry, I put a lot of faith in recommendations from employees so I asked them what I should get and after a short discussion of my preferences and sleepiness level they suggested a double shot. It sounded intense so I was dubious, but my eyes were glazing over and I was nodding off where I stood, so I didn't have much choice. The first sip was indeed intense, so I headed over to the condiment station and added at least 5 Splendas, after which it was actually pretty dang delicious. 

I have an espresso maker at home, because I asked for one for Christmas last year. If you want to make your own coffee at home and have it be as good as Starbucks, you have to have an espresso maker. Mine is a Mr. Coffee brand, and it's pretty low-level, but it works so that's what matters. If, like me, you were unaware, allow me to inform you that espresso is not a kind of coffee, it's a method of brewing coffee. After I got my espresso machine I scoured the grocery store aisles for what seemed like hours looking for the darn espresso coffee. As it turns out, espresso is the process of shooting high pressure, boiling water through finely ground coffee. The result is extremely strong coffee. Espresso is like the Emperor of coffee, the supreme high potentate of caffeine and the coffee universe eternal. I make my espresso double shots differently than they do at Starbucks, mostly because I have the time to. Frankly, I think mine are better.

Equipment you will need:

  1. An espresso maker
  2. A coffee grinder
  3. Coffee mug
  4. Tall glass or cup - the one I use is probably 32 ounces
  5. Long handled spoon for stirring - I use an iced tea spoon
  6. Straw (if desired)

Ingredients you will need:

  1. Coffee - I use unflavored and I like to grind my beans from whole but if you prefer you can buy already ground coffee and it cuts down on your grinding time. I have found that flavored coffee, even if it's my favorite to brew, is not the best for this drink, the pure coffee flavor works best in my opinion.
  2. 1 Cup Milk - I use 2% Organic
  3. 1 Tablespoon Cream (optional)
  4. 4 Teaspoons sugar or 3 packets of Splenda
  5. 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract (optional)
  6. Ice - wait to add this until the last minute or it will melt and your drink will be watered down
Directions:
Grind the coffee until the grounds resemble table salt in size. If you grind them too fine the coffee will be bitter, too large and it will not be strong enough. Brew the espresso according to your machine's instructions. While the espresso is brewing, put the sugar or Splenda and the vanilla (if desired) in the mug. When the espresso is ready, pour it on top of the sugar and vanilla and stir it well, it takes about 30 seconds for the sugar to fully dissolve, it will be less time if you are using Splenda. Once the sugar is dissolved, fill your large cup with ice, all the way to the top, and pour the espresso over the ice. Add the milk and cream and stir until the coffee and milk are fully incorporated (about 10 seconds) then add your straw and enjoy!

The reason I think my double shots are better than Starbucks' is because I mix the sugar in with the hot espresso rather than adding a syrup to the icy drink. Mixing the sugar in with the espresso while it's still hot allows the sugar to fully dissolve and permeate the entire drink with sweetness, rather than allowing the sugar to remain in granules on the bottom of the glass. This is an extra step they just don't seem to have time for at Starbucks. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this drink, it has gotten me through the summer, and has especially been a nice treat for me when I'm a zombie from crib training the baby or night time potty training Bella, yes, I'm dong both at once! That's why I neeeeeed this caffeine!!!

PSST! If you liked this blog and you would like some more Starbucks hacks, check out this blog!

Calories will vary:
Using 2% milk with no cream and Splenda: 125 Calories
Using 2% milk with no cream and sugar: 190
Using 2% milk with cream and sugar: 235
Using 2% milk with cream and Splenda: 170
Using almond milk with no cream and Splenda: 35
When I actually drink it, I need a bigger cup.
These old longhorn cups are the biggest
ones I have, so obviously, this is where my
coffee goes. Get in my belly.

UPDATE: I have found a way to make this drink SUPER LOW CALORIE by using unsweetened almond milk and Splenda. There are only 30 calories in a cup of almond milk. I have added this new option to the calorie listing.

No comments:

Post a Comment