Monday, June 24, 2013

Visiting My Grandma

A couple weeks ago we drove out to visit my grandma who lives just about 50 miles south of the Oklahoma border in a little town called Seymour, Texas. It's about a six hour drive from Austin and it was the first time she got to meet Vivienne! Vivienne was born in October, and my sister Katheryn was married in December. I was Matron of Honor so I was very involved in throwing her Bachelorette party and her Wedding Shower and, in addition to that, Eric ran a half-marathon in San Antonio in early November, so we were traveling literally every weekend that month except Thanksgiving, and two more weekends into December.
Bella, Vivienne and Great Grandma!

We typically go out to Seymour for Thanksgiving, but this year we just couldn't stand the idea of traveling for six weeks in a row so we stayed home and missed that opportunity. Unfortunately, in December my Grandma broke her hip and then got a compensatory injury in her opposite shoulder, so she was laid up and couldn't really have visitors until about April. Unfortunately, that was the month I quit my job, and things were pretty busy around here, and then Eric had to work pretty much every weekend in May. So we FINALLY made it out to see her this month!

It was kind of neat because Vivi crawled for the first time in my Grandma's living room! We were sitting around talking about how she would get up on all fours, and rock back and forth but just hadn't actually crawled yet, and as we were talking about it, she did it! So it was neat that my Grandma got to see that, and that it happened in the same house where my own mother was raised.
Vivi lets Lexi hold her!

Generally Vivi is a very easy baby and a very easy-going baby. Maybe it was because the drive was so long, or maybe it was because she was off her nap schedule, but she wouldn't let anyone hold her until about Sunday night (after we had been there for over 24 hours). My cousin Lauren sure did give it the old college try though, I'm pretty sure Vivi thought she was being kidnapped by the way she screamed! Poor Lauren, she really is good with babies, but Vivienne just did not want anyone else holding her. Maybe she thought we were going to leave her there, poor baby, she has traveled more in her short life than some people do until they're in their teens.

On Sunday night my Uncle Tommy and Aunt Jeannie threw a barbecue at their house and we all went out there to dine and socialize. Bella had a great time running around with my cousins' kids, Lauren's son Josiah, and Glenn's kids Lexi, Tyler and Leah. Lexi is 13 now (I can't believe it!) and she is the first one Vivienne allowed to hold her! Glenn had to leave early to take his Mom to an appointment, but Jan and the kids were able to stay so it was still fun! It was really good to see my family, they live so far it is rare for us to get together.
I particularly love this picture where no one is looking at the camera except Vivi...
... and this picture, where everyone is looking at the camera except Vivi!
This is Lexi, Jeannie, Lauren, Grandma and Jan, and Tommy, Vivi and Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment